The Trials, Victories & Adventures of Los PaulOS

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. ~ 1 John 4:18

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

A Valentine's To Remember

For those who know me VERY well, I may seem to be a romantic/nostalgic fool. But I do have trouble getting it done. I think it's because of fear of looking foolish. Yeah.. sometimes have trouble of shedding this macho image. ha ha ha

But this year it was different. Even though I still felt sheepish, I went ahead and asked someone (from Henceforth shall be known as Fiona*) out on Valentine's day.

* Names have been altered to protect the identity of those involved.. until further notice
(The name "Fiona" came to mind coz of a reason you will know later ;) )...

Note :
1. Fiona you know who you are and I hope you don't find this blog too revealing of who you are..
2. I trust that none of you who know who Fiona is will go and blab this to her. I'd like to tell her myself or let her discover this for herself.

I asked Fiona out for dinner on Monday, 14th Feb. I didn't mention to her if it was gonna be a Valentine's dinner or anything. But her reply came, that she was busy on that night. We agreed to meet the following Saturday for lunch. I didn't have the nerve to ask... "Are you seeing someone else on that night? " but in my mind, things were just helter skelter thinking of the worst. Assumptions can be a horrible thing.

After thinking it through and talking it through, I concluded that my fears and assumptions were unfounded. And So I rested and waited for that day.

It was a busy Saturday morning, I had banking to do, meet up with a cell member, call to make reservations, buy the flowers etc. I got my cell member to be the flower/bouquet consultant. Bought 6 pink-tipped roses and paid for them. I quickly dropped my cell member back at her house and zoomed in my trusty GREY iron steed (named 'Zeph').
Fiona messaged me twice that morning to ask to push back our lunch meeting. I was quite thankful that she pushed it back because I was running late due to the many things to do.

I drove to the lovely little restaurant, Teapot Cafe and place the bouquet of flowers on the table. Teapot Cafe has been one of my most favourite places to take a gal out on a date. I love the English styling with local foods. I got some "stares" or looks as I placed the flowers on the table. If I had it my way I'd have laid rose petals on the table and the seats.

*Now imagine the setting changing to ye olde english style*

I didn't shy away nor did I blush amidst all the eyes trained upon me. I strode off to my trusty steed to seek out the fair maiden. My heart was neither rushing nor pounding as I "galloped" astride my steed to the castle of the fair maiden, Fiona. There she waited patiently for me.
As I brought my steed to a halt at the doorstep of her castle, Fiona neither rushed nor slowly opened the portals of her castle. She had not tied her hair up nor bundled it into a bun. She let her hang hair loosely over her shoulders. She did not fasten any of her usual butterfly clips which I find very endearing. She promptly got onto my steed and she and I rode off to our meeting place at that quaint little cafe.

*end ye olde english*

Well it didn't really happen that way. But I'd like to believe it happened that way.. *wink*.. well I am not kidding myself anyways.

So we chatted lightly in the car about her day so far that morning. Then I told her that we were going to the Teapot Cafe, she seemed pleased... So I opened the restaurant door for her, but as always do, I walked in first.. I don't know why it's polite to let a lady walk in first, who knows what danger could be lurking beyond the door!! The guy should walk in first and check if the coast is clear.. Heh heh heh! .. I am sure that there's a big explanation why a guy should let the gal walk in first.. but till today I don't know any other reason aside from "courtesy".. ha ha ha

As I led her to the table, it was then my heart started pounding.. wondering what her response would be when she saw the flowers... so as I stood next to the table I saw her eyes turn wide in mild shock. Obviously she had not anticipated nor expected the flowers. As she sat down, I could see that she was at a lost for words. I said "I hope that you like the flowers" and she responding very gracefully (as she always does).. "I really appreciate the thought".. I am sure that it dawned on her that the flowers was in accordance to the tradition of Valentine's Day.

We then ordered our meals, I had the Chilli Padi Fried Rice with Boxing Chicken, she had the Ultimate Omellete with Fries. We didn't order anything until much later (Chocolate Eclairs and Peach Crumble).. The food was yummy but not as it was before.

We talked and we talked, we shared the deserts. We were too full to order the tea which is quite pleasant. I especially like Strawberry Tea. We had a good time talking till about 3pm. One funny thing that she commented was about the time when she went to the ladies and she overheard two kids talking to each other in the adjacent toilet. It's quite endearing to think about 2 kids in the toilet talking.. ha ha.. The Age of Innocence.

The flowers lay next to her on the seat and I hope that it was a reminder that this was a Valentine's lunch :) Oh of course I was hoping that she'd say something more about the flowers, but I think she prefers if the guy actually initiates the topic. I thought it'd be best to leave it to talk in the car as I sent her home. So left and I paid for the bill and after that we left.

So in the car, I stammered " I hope that the flowers didn't make you feel very awkward".. She promnptly replied "Well.. no... it's just that I get embarassed very easily. But I appreciate you taking the trouble to do this" .. well I think that's at least what she said...

Then I confessed the feelings that I still had for her, she responded to me very nicely. That's what I like about her, she's very nice to me. :)..
She said something about remaining as friends and not wanting to say anything that would encourage me or give me hope to continue in this pursuit. I missed out some of the things that she said.. but I guess she was also saying something about not turning me down either.

I just asked her if she was not ready for any relationship at this moment and she confirmed it. I also asked if she was seeing anyone, because I just had to know if she was or even was considering anyone. And she chuckled as she replied, "I am not gonna two time or three time anyone lah".. It was funny, and I just love her for her sense of humour.

She then said "I'll understand if you don't call me after this you know"... I replied "Of course I'll still call you" ... She's such a sweet gal and I really appreciate her thoughtfulness and understanding. I've not seen her since, but.. I hope to see her this weekend. But I just wished I had good news for my mom and dad who are down this weekend for my dad's 60th Birthday.

My parents are such sweet people, and I have seen them grow in love together over the ages. That's another love story for another blog :)

As I drove home in my trusty, dusty grey iron steed (Donkey), Zeph, my heart was not filled with sadness, but joy, that I am still in His care, that my heart is not troubled at even the possibility that this amorous pursuit might not be fruitful, but I have gained new confidence in speaking my heart to a gal as wonderful as Princess Fiona...

I may grow and look more and more each day like Shrek, balding and maybe disgusting, but I do hope that one day maybe this gal will be my Princess Fiona, or maybe someone else that God has prepared for me. I pray my eyes and my heart will be open to see the beauty of God in this person at the right time.

I hope to one day write a love story that will be a legacy for my children and their children's children to learn from. :)

To all comrades looking for love,

Seek ye author of love and life first,
Before ye seek the love of your life,
He is thy first and foremost ,
Before all passions, pleasures, possessions and persons

God's Richest Blessings be unto you...

PaulOS Blogging Off.. :)

There is No Fear In (Perfect) Love.. 1 John 4:18

Update to this blog..
Indeed there is no fear in Perfect love.
A year and a half has passed, and I read this blog again with a slight twinge as she is to be married soon. The twinge is not out of regret or sadness, but a hope for my future. I hope that I too will come to the stage where I am excited to be ready for marriage to someone whom I am seeing now (if and when God wills it so)... He is still by my side..

7 Comments:

  • At March 03, 2005 8:53 PM, Anonymous Vagus said…

    Hang in there, dude.
    If she's worth it (and i'm sure she is) the one doesn't give up easily.
    We'll scheme about other ways to impress your girl later :)

     
  • At March 04, 2005 10:04 AM, Blogger PaulOS said…

    I'll hold ya to it bro :)
    Thanks for your prayers and encouragament.. The Lord Bless you abundantly...
    Come Home Safely.

     
  • At March 04, 2005 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anson F-Clef said…

    Yo bro! Just one simple message: Matthew 6 vs 33...u and I know what I mean lah.....

     
  • At March 04, 2005 6:23 PM, Anonymous Coolcat said…

    Your post is filled with hope and encouragement even though the outcome may not have been what you expected. Am encouraged :)

    "A faint heart wins not the hand of the fair damsel".

     
  • At March 05, 2005 12:49 AM, Blogger beauideal said…

    Wow....!!! If she is meant for you, then it will happen. Remember what I always say....if its gods will, everything will fall into place. Patience!

     
  • At March 07, 2005 11:29 AM, Blogger PaulOS said…

    I resound Matt 6.. Indeed do not worry.. What use is there to worry? So I will and always seek His kingdom 1st and foremost.

    Thank you all for your encouragement. The Lord bless you abundantly...

     
  • At October 29, 2005 1:31 AM, Blogger PaulOS said…

    In retrospect, it was a good experience.. and I have received feedback, that there might be a similar blog to mine outside.. or maybe it was this blog.. and it was not well received..

    It was not my intention to de-fame the person I asked out on the date.. but it was intended to share my journey in the pursuit of a partner for life and living...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home