The Trials, Victories & Adventures of Los PaulOS

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. ~ 1 John 4:18

Friday, August 20, 2004

The Joneses

"Anything you can do, I can do better... " was a song I remember hearing in a Cheese Ad in Australia. You know the feeling? Makes me feel "Grrr!!!"

What am I talking about? Well, not naming names, but I was over at a birthday party the other day and my cousin's mom-in-law who happens to be a "Born Again" Christian got on my nerves. Very sorry to say this, but she irked me a fair bit.

Ok here goes, some of you may now I come from a Catholic background. Irregardless of where I was or where I am, I have great respect for Catholics. I may not agree with some of their doctrine etc, but I was part of it. In a lot of ways who I am today is because of my Catholic upbringing. I don't resent being raised a Catholic. My parents brought me up well and the best way they knew how. We all have our "ideals" to how we should've been brought up, but we are where we are and that's God's design for us. So be it!

Why'd she get on my nerves? A few things she said :
  1. "I am glad there's someone in family is of the same kind"
  2. "How does your Catholic family treat you?"
  3. "You should come and visit my church we are the best (in this and that)"

It just irk's me to know that people are still comparing between churches. I thought we were in the business of Evangelism and Salvation. I am glad to say that my church is not a perfect, and we have our faults. I am glad that we are humbled by our imperfectness, because we are only human. It shows us how much more we need to depend on God to strive for excellence in order to honour Him. I am glad that the church is growing in numbers because it shows that behind each number is another child of God returning to the Father's arms!

I love my family dearly and I respect them very much. I pray for them and share with them the lessons I have learnt from my church with them whenever I can. God's been so good to us. But I am not about to go telling them, you're wrong and I am right. You gotta love them into God's kingdom. I must admit I have a burden for my family members who are just practising the "going to church" bit, but not having a living and victorious relationship with Christ. But you gotta "love" people into God's kingdom. If my family can see Christ in me and are intrigued by it, Praise God it gives me an avenue to share with them God's good news.

I do not expect my family members to come to the same church as me, but I want them to have a living and real relationship with Christ. I see that in my parents! And I am very encouraged by my parents in the way they live their Christian lives by faith. Some "born-again" Christians may look upon them with scepticism, but I've seen how they live and I am have no qualms about their salvation. Praise Be To God!

So my point is, it doesn't matter if you're Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, Baptist, Evangelical, Pentecostal whateva.. as long as you're living right with Jesus, and you know it, and He speaks clearly to you, convicts you and your life reflects His Majesty and Love.. Hey Brother.. Hey Sister.. you're COOL! :)

So let's continue to live a life of faith.. because without faith it is impossible to please God. Heb 11:6

1 Comments:

  • At August 25, 2004 10:25 AM, Blogger PaulOS said…

    Yeah, I must apologise for sounding like I was really really angry. Not meant to come across that way. Just sharing what I was thinking/feeling at that point of time.

    Thanks for all who have read and prayed for me :D Will write another blog soon!

    Be Extremely Blessed!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home