The Trials, Victories & Adventures of Los PaulOS

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. ~ 1 John 4:18

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Phantom Whipped!

OK ok... for those who have read Coolcat's jottings on Phantom, you can tell that I slept during movie Phantom of the Opera.. starring ... err unknown actors.. the only one I knew was Minnie Driver ..

**Chuckling and wondering .. What were her parents thinking.. "Mini Driver"!!! Did she ever drive a Mini .. and ppl seeing her in the car driving past would've exclaimed "Minnie Driver!!!" and the response would've been "Yeah! So what? there're so many of them around"**

Sorry corny joke....

Ok back to how I got whipped by the Phantom of The Opera....

Monday nite.. I was a wee bit tired. But wanted to watch Phantom for the experience of it, so I got Rina and Joanne to join me. I know they've been wanting to watch it.

Movie started quite late (855pm) even though it was scheduled to start at 830. We were seated 2 row from the front.

Anyways, I think I was miffed because of the following points that didn't make the "movical" (Movie + Musical) enjoyable

Miffing-point :
1. Almost all the tickets were booked, so we were left with those few seats.. but in actual fact a lot of the seats were empty. We didn't want to move to another seat for fear that someone might come later and would result in embarassing situation to move etc.
2. The air conditioning was busted.. it was getting warm
3. Sound system was lousy! I didn't even feel the music. There was hardly any low-end "rumble" for a musical of this quality. The vocals were dry...

I also believe at a musical, you are sitting with a crowd of people who know how to appreciate a musical for it's creative quality and technical complexities. What I look forward to in musicals are

1. How they are able to hide the microphones or even not have microphones
2. How the actors/singers are able to project their voices across the hall
3. How full the Orchestra and vocals sound
4. It's magical to see the stage transform between scenes.
5. The lighting that helps change the mood and feel of each scene
6. The stage mobility
a. the rotating stage in Les Miz
b. the town cum barricade for the city in Les Miz
c. the the moving gondola on stage for Phantom
d. the helicopter in Miss Saigon (yet to see)

I must admit some of the romanticism is lost on me in Phantom. And some things I find a bit ridculous to reconcile in Phantom, like

1. He's gifted with musical talent, true... but who taught him how to write scores blah blah blah
2. Where'd he get all the money and resources to install a pipe organ under the city?
3. Where's he go to buy the candles?
4. The Phantom's actually quite handsome (except for that 1/3 of the face).. but hey, he's got better hair and face than me ;)
5. Always threatens people... tsk tsk tsk "pay me 20,000 francs.. leave MY box empty
6. Raoul's hair so pristine... Rebonding Technique ah?

I can't remember the whole play from back in 1998, that's why I think I'll go get the DVD and watch it again (when I'm fully awake), to reconcile all the parts I missed before I can give a full evaluation on the story.. :)

But I must say, I've been inspired by the lyrics and music style once again. Wonder if Punctuation will venture again into a musical.. a full musical..

I just got news yesterday.. Punctuation is not having many productions this year. Only 1 in August and 1 on Christmas Day. (And my Dew Crew team is on for August)... What a privilege!

However I was contemplating on acting this year if there was a musical... plans thwarted.. :p
Well, nevermind.. Have a blessed week everyone!




5 Comments:

  • At January 19, 2005 1:38 PM, Blogger vagus said…

    Dude, you have high expectations!
    Haven't seen the show yet, but you're making me nervous.
    Take care back there ya?

     
  • At January 19, 2005 5:32 PM, Blogger PaulOS said…

    Heh heh! Kinda high standards after watching a few plays, acting in one and involved technically in a few. The bar has been raised. So watching the movie didn't invoke the sense I expected.

    But I'll watch it again since I slept.. ha ha

    take care of yourself to bro..

     
  • At January 19, 2005 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Paul, really - now you are making people nervous abt watching Phantom... tsk tsk.

    While not the most fantastic musical I've seen (Sound of Music wins everytime!), it was wonderfully entertaining for me. And the singing was so beautiful... The only part I didn't like was the casting of young Raoul. His face a bit too expressionless. Phantom was so intense and you can feel his angst and all that energy.

    My friend told me that Christine (Emmy Rossum) acted in Day after Tomorrow as the young hero's love interest. So not all of them are total unknowns (besides Mini the Driver).

    Coolcat

     
  • At January 19, 2005 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, stop making people who haven't watch it nervous and stop criticising the movie. It isn't that bad. For those who have yet to watch Phantom, don't let Paulos' opinion bother you, it's not the best, but it's not as bad as he puts it.

    Jotay

     
  • At January 19, 2005 6:12 PM, Blogger PaulOS said…

    Hi hi.. managed to stir the stew pot... I have this to say lah.. It is my onion and my blog.. hoh hoh hoh.. You can take back what you want to take.. I am just giving my onion .. err opinion..

    On a more sedate note.. Go watch, don't be influence by what people say, see and experience for yourself. It's like Jesus, "you gotta taste and see that the Lord is good." If you are gonna be "tossed about like the waves in the sea" then you'll never stand for anything. :)

    At least I don't speak during the movie.. or more like "snore" .. muahahha..

    YT, I agree with the angst part about the phantom.. It's that role that's hardest to potray.

    Hmmm didn't recognise her in The Day After Tomorrow, but now that you mentioned, I'll go watch it again.

    Enjoy the Phantom...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home